-How much we enjoy what we have is much more important than how much we have. Life is full of people who have more than they know what to do with, but cannot be content. It is the capacity to enjoy life that brings contentment.

Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Reflection on 2006, Looking ahead 2007

It is hard to believe that 2006 is coming to an end but it is, so it is time to reflect on 2006 and to look forward to 2007. I do not make New Years Resolutions I have a list of things that I want to do and/or see before my life is over. So I add or subtract from this list each year. Some of the items that have been completed from my list are:

1. See Niagra Fall
2. Visit the Statue of Liberty-Got to go into her crown
3. See a broadway Play
4. Run a Marathon
5. do RAGBRAI
6. Ride Amtrak
7. Get stamp in passport
8. Visit Africa
9. Alien museum in Roswell New Mexico.
10. Visit Vietnam war Memorial
11. Visit the Smithsonian


I have one in process: Visit all 50 states, I have visited alot but have some to go mostly real southern states , Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi.. and Western states, Montana, Wyoming.

What I have accompolished this year that was on my list

1. Learned to do the butterfly. It might not be pretty but I can do it.
2. started riding my bike again, this has been a 10 year process
3. saw Lance...I just wanted to see him. RAGBRAI allowed that.

Some of the Items still on my list. Some are long term some are quick fixes so to speak.

1. do a triathelon, I would like to someday do a 1/2 or full Iron Man. 2. do a cyclecross race
3. cycle the French Alps especially Alp d' huez (I am looking for someone to go with me on this one)
4. I would like to visit Scotland, Ireland, See Nessie..(Loch Ness Monster),
5. Auschwitz-one of the most powerful places on earth
6. Learn to scuba dive
7. Learn or relearn to ride a motorcycle
8. Get a tatoo..shhh dont let mom know.

Some new ones will be added and some will come off because they are no longer important to me.

An anonymous frier in a Nebraska monastery wrote this late in life.

If I had my life to live over again,
I'd try to make more mistakes next time.
I would relax, I would limber up,
I would be sillier than I have been this trip.
I would take more trips. I would be crazier.
I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers,
and watch more sunsets.
I would do more walking and looking.
I would eat more ice cream and less beans.
If I had to do it over again I would go places,
do things, and travel lighter.
If I had my life to live over I would start barefooted
earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the
fall.
I would ride on more merry-go-rounds.
I'd pick more daisies.

So if you see me stopping and petting a cat or dog, or smelling a flower you know why. I tell people that the first 40 years of my life I tried to please everyone but me so the Next 40 are for me. I welcome all my friends to come along. You never know what kind of fun we will have.

Have a wonderful and fullfilling 2007! I hope to see you around.

Peace

No comments: