-How much we enjoy what we have is much more important than how much we have. Life is full of people who have more than they know what to do with, but cannot be content. It is the capacity to enjoy life that brings contentment.

Sunday, July 29, 2007

The most beautiful sport

As I sat watching the Final stage of the 2007 Tour de France this morning I got to thinking about what a beautiful sport cycling is. In America we are so use to dealing with the it's all about me attitude of professional athletes. I want the most money, I want the fame I I I I I ....for the past three weeks I have watched young men tear themselves apart to help out their team leaders, they know that they have no chance of winning a stage or winning the tour but they are proud to help try and get their leader a win. Where else do you see athletes who are bruised, broken and stiched together continue on for the sake of their team.

Professional Cyclists are the most drugged tested athletes in the world, if they are caught or though to be using drugs they are suspended or fired. Maybe Americans need to take this attitude, but no we just ignore because once again it all comes back to money.

Cyclists dont ride for the money they ride for the love of the sport, it gets in your blood and in your soul. I am proud to be a cyclist, I know that I will never be great, I know that I will never be fast but that does not mean that when I am flying down a hill or climbing up one that I cannot for a moment pretend that I am riding up one of the epic climbs of the Tour de France, or any of the other great tours. You never know one day I might just get over there and try but until then I am proud to be a member of one of the most beautiful sports in the world..cycling.

PEACE...keep riding and keep safe.

1 comment:

Julie said...

AMEN!!